With my daughters off to school at the crack of dawn, my youngest and I have a lot of time before his bus arrives. Sometimes he sleeps in, and I work. But if he wakes early and is ready for school, I like to break out the games. Evenings can be hectic with activities, homework, and driving from Point A to Point B, so I love fun one-on-one time with my son in the mornings.
One game we are playing right now is Suspend. I love a good time, but even more so I love a game that has minimal set up and limited rules. Suspend is the perfect game for an impromptu family game night. Simply remove the lid to the Suspend game tube. Dump the contents on the table. Set up the tabletop stand and…Play!
My son and took turns rolling the dice. On each turn my son picked up a colored wire piece to match the color on the dice. The object of the Suspend is to balance as many sticks on the tabletop stand. The metal rods are notched and rubber tipped.
Placing the first piece is tricky. Will it balance? Will it topple? Will it tip over? With each piece the structure changes shape. The Suspend structure my son and I created reminded me of a kinetic sculpture on my college campus that would move this way and that as the wind blew. We played with two players, but you can play the game by yourself or up to 4 players. I like family games that work for up to 4 people.
So each time you add a new wire piece the structure changes shape. Just be careful to hold your hand steady. Oh, and you can’t use two hands. Only one. Some of the wire pieces are long, and my son held his breath as he placed a long wire piece on the tabletop stand. Would it balance?
When I look for games for children, I like finding a game that is easy to play and fun. Suspend is a game that kids will enjoy, especially those 8 and up. Although tweens, teens, and adults would have fun, too.
- building fine motor control — Will it balance?
- learning game strategy — Where should I put this wire piece?
- social skills — game players have to follow rules and show good sportsmanship
Suspend by Melissa and Doug is an award-winning toy. Suspend won the Best Games 2012 from the Best Toys Guide. Suspend is packaged in a cylinder 3″ by 13″. The game can be purchased from Gummylump.com for $13.59. You can also check out their play food toys special offer.
You can win a Melissa and Doug Games for Kids for your family! I have one of these fun games for children for one lucky reader of this blog!
Mandatory Entry — Leave a comment.
Extra Entries — Leave a comment.
- Follow @GummyLump on Twitter.
- Like Gummy Lump on Facebook.
- Subscribe to the Gummy Lump Newsletter.
- Follow @MusingsfromMe on Twitter.
- Like Musings from Me on Facebook.
- Tweet this giveaway and leave a link to your tweet: @MusingsfromMe is giving away Suspend from @GummyLump! Enter 4 a chance to win! http://bit.ly/OZzcKo #giveaway #seizingfamilytime
- Like Jill MusingsfromMe on Facebook.
- Stumble one of my posts that is not a giveaway. Use your Stumble toolbar or use the Share button that is placed to the left of the post.
I was sent Suspend to facilitate my review. The views expressed in this post are my own. I follow the tenets of Blog With Integrity. This giveaway is open to residents in the Continental U.S. only. The giveaway ends September 26, 2012, at 11:59 p.m. EST. Please note that only 1 win per household per campaign is allowed. While you are encouraged to enter wherever they want, you can only win from one blog per theme.